Free ear checks for children 0-18 years
Ear problems affect many children. Some have long lasting problems with their ears, which can affect their learning.
The Ear Van provides free checks for children from 0 to 18 years old. This service is provided by a registered nurse who has special training in ear health.
The nurse provides:
- Assessment and ongoing monitoring of ear problems (runny ears, glue ear, sore ears)
- Tympanometry (test of the eardrum)
- Ear wax removal (using microscope and suction)
- Ear canal cleaning (aural toileting using microscope and suction)
- Removal of foreign objects in the ear canal (cotton buds, beads)
- Parental education and support
- Links to other services
Referrals to us can be made by:
- Family/whanau or caregivers
- ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) specialists
- General practitioners (GPs)
- Vision and hearing technicians
- Public health nurses
- Other health professionals
Monthly clinic timetable
Follow us on Facebook for ear van timetable changes and information.
For an appointment call Regional Public Health on 587 2916 or text 'appointment' to 027 845 1433 and someone will call you back.