Free ear checks for children 0-18 years
Ear problems affect many children. Some have long lasting problems with their ears, which can affect their learning.
The Ear Van provides free checks for children from 0 to 18 years old. This service is provided by a registered nurse who has special training in ear health.
The nurse provides:
- Assessment and ongoing monitoring of ear problems (runny ears, glue ear, sore ears)
- Tympanometry (test of the eardrum)
- Ear wax removal (using microscope and suction)
- Ear canal cleaning (aural toileting using microscope and suction)
- Removal of foreign objects in the ear canal (cotton buds, beads)
- Parental education and support
- Links to other services
Referrals to us can be made by:
- Family/whanau or caregivers
- ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) specialists
- General practitioners (GPs)
- Vision and hearing technicians
- Public health nurses
- Other health professionals
Monthly clinic timetable
There are 'drop in' and 'by appointment' clinics available.
Drop-in clinics run from 9.30am-12.30pm. Please note these clinics are very popular and there may be a wait.
For an appointment call Regional Public Health on 587 2916 or text 'appointment' to 027 845 1433 and someone will call you back.