Health Promoting Schools is an internationally recognised framework utilised in over 50 countries worldwide to improve the health and wellbeing of school communities through a whole school approach.
There is strong evidence to support the Health Promoting Schools approach as a best practice framework for school health promotion. Health Promoting Schools supports school communities to identify and address their prioritised health needs and take actions that use their strengths and build capability.
The framework empowers school communities to develop solutions for their own transformation in partnership with health, education and social services. The Health Promoting Schools Inquiry cycle is outcomes focused and sustainable as it builds on what schools already do and integrates the actions and outcomes into schools' planning and reporting mechanisms.
Kia tū rangatira ai te whānau i roto i ngā ao katoa
Whānau standing in any world confidently
Mission / Purpose
Kia hāpaitia, kia hikitia te rangatiratanga o ngā whānau, ka ora ai te iwi
To enhance whānau wellbeing through evidence informed practice, with a focus on reducing inequities in health and educational outcomes.
Te Tiriti o Waitangi - partnerships, participation, protection
Whanaungatanga - strengthening relationships
Kotahitanga- partnership in learning, reciprocity
Rangatiratanga - uplifting, growing, leadership
The Health Promoting Schools principles have been influenced by a number of documents which are detailed in the Health Promoting Schools National Strategic Framework Background document. Many of the principles are incorporated in more than one value.
How does HPS work?
- We build on what schools already do and know.
- We take a community development approach: we respond to the prioritised needs and solutions that have been identified by the whole school community.
- We focus on those who are experiencing the greatest inequities - highlighted through national priorities.
- We offer support from health and wellbeing activators - to deliver solutions in partnership with health, education and social service providers.
- We shift school communities knowledge, skills, attitudes,and behaviours and create supportive environments.
Our public health advisors are here to support your school communities to identify their strengths and address their health, wellbeing and education priorities.
- The new Health Promoting Schools health and wellbeing rubric now aligns with ERO evaluation indicators. Click here to access the rubric.
- A range of resources relating to specific needs that school communities may require support for can be found here
- Teacher unit plans available here are based on the Health Promoting Schools inquiry based learning model.
- For a range of health and education websites click here.
- Emergency Planning and Response, Getting ready before a disaster strikes will help reduce damage to your home and business and help you survive. Click here to visit our emergency planning and response page.
Examples of Successful Health Promoting Schools