Such a delicious treat, perfect for a special occasion!
- 2 medium-sized beetroot (steamed and pureed or grated fresh)
Note: Beetroot puree = steam/lightly boil beetroot for 25 mins, until soft. Add to blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- 1 ½ cups of flour (Note: gluten free flour works well here too)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar (brown or white)
- 1/4 cup margarine (55 grams) - room temperature
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup of dark chocolate (chopped into chunks)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 12 muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Then mix in the pureed or grated beetroot.
- In a large bowl cream/beat the sugar, margarine and oil. Note: You can use an electric or hand held beater here.
- Mix the beetroot mixture into the sugar mixture and then slowly fold in the flour mixture.
- Using a spatula, mix in the chocolate.
- Evenly divide the batter into a 12 muffin tin. Each case should be about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the muffins are springy to the touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Remove from tin and allow to cool completely.
Note: These are best eaten fresh, but can be frozen for a later date.
Download printable pdf.