Te Awakairangi Health
Te Awakairangi Health Network offers a range of physical activity programmes for people in the Hutt Valley, including:
View more infomation on the programmes outlined below, including who to contact and session dates and times.
- Valley Fit Exercise Sessions a exercise group for community members who are 65 years and under. Sessions are available in Naenae, Wainuiomata and Upper Hutt.
- Healthy Lifestyle Pasefika is a free exercise programme including fresh groove, pacific aerobics and more. Sessions are held at the Naenae Community Hall on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday 12.00-1.00pm.
- Dietitian Service is a service provided free to eligible patients who are Maori or Pacific, low income families or are at risk of developing, or have a chronic disease.
- Healthy Families Coach is a service aimed at helping people achieve positive health outcomes and decrease their risk of heart disease, diabetes and other chronic illnesses.
- Heart and Diabetes Checks Programme a free check for eligible people to recieve a heart and diabetes check.
Compass Health offers free exercise classes and has a range of programmes available to support the health of the community, including:
Sport Wellington is a Regional Sports Trust which promotes, develops and supports sport and recreation in the Wellington region. Programmes Sport Wellington is currently involved in, includes:
- Green Prescription - a primary health initiative where GPs and practice nurses write a referral for a patient to access support for increasing their physical activity. Free motivation, support and guidance is provided.
- Active Families - a programme that helps you and your children get active and learn about healthy eating. Free goal setting and healthy eating advice is offered.
- Push Play Trailer - Wellington, Porirua and the Hutt Valley have trailers designed to help you and your community get active and Push Play. Trailers are free and available to community groups running recreation events.
Bike Wise is New Zealand's national programme of activites which promote cycling as fun, healthy and a safe way to travel. Bike Wise recently developed 'New Zealand's Favourite Places to Cycle'.
Pedal Ready is a cycle skills programme provided to schools and adults in the Wellington region. Training includes a bike and helmet safety check, bike handling skills and exercises to build confidence.
Living Streets Aotearoa
Living Streets Aotearoa is New Zealand's primary advovacy organisation for people on foot, promoting walking-friendly communities. Living Streets includes information on give way rules for pededtrians, foot path parking and walk to work day.
Further information and useful links
Ministry of Health > Physical Activity
New Zealand Recreation Association
Health Ed (physical activity resources)
The Health Promotion Agency
Nutrition and Physical Activity Update
Regional Public Health produce a Nutrition and Physical Activity Update for the community, you can view the updates here.