Vision and hearing screening helps ensure that our children’s ability to learn is at its best. Our vision and hearing technicians (VHTs) provide the following for the greater Wellington region (including Wairarapa and the Kāpiti Coast):
- Hearing and vision screening for pre-school tamariki as part of the Plunket B4 School Checks (B4SC) programme
- Year 7 vision screening in schools
- Community children's hearing clinics
- Advice around what to do if tamariki need support with their hearing and vision
If a child is four years old, and has not had a B4 School Check, invite parent/caregiver to contact the following people to arrange an appointment:
- Hutt Valley: Emma Marson 04 460 4670 or 027 247 5841
- Capital & Coast: Chris Rice 04 212 4553 or 027 240 4832
- Wairarapa: contact your usual medical centre
Free community children’s hearing clinics
Regional Public Health also offer free hearing tests at regular community clinics for children 4-18 years.
Porirua-Kāpiti 2017 timetable
**Some clinics are subject to change – please phone Erin (04 587 2906) or Karyn (04 587 2908) to confirm the clinic.
Clinics are from 9.30-11.30am at the following locations:
- Cannons Creek: Cannons Creek Plunket Rooms, 31 Warspite Ave, 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month
- Waitangirua: Waitangirua Health Centre, 201 Warspite Ave, 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month
- Porirua: WINZ Porirua Community Link, Lydney Place, alternate Fridays - check with VHT
- Titahi Bay: Titahi Bay North School, 47 Jillet St - check with VHT
- Elsdon: Ora Toa Health Unit, 20 Ngatitoa St, 1st Wednesday of every month - 1.00-3.00 pm
- Johnsonville: Johnsonville Plunket Rooms, 19 Rotoiti St, 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month
- Kapiti: Plunket Rooms, 68 Amohia St, Paraparaumu, alternate Fridays - check with VHT
- Newlands: Newlands Community Centre, 9 Batchelor St, 1st Tuesday every 2nd month
Hutt Valley 2017 timetable
- Upper Hutt: Above Lagans Pharmacy, Main Street, Tuesday morning once a month, phone 04 570 9002 for an appointment.
- Wainuiomata: Whai Oranga Health Centre, 7 The Strand, 1st Monday morning of every month, phone 04 564 6966 for an appointment.
- Lower Hutt: Level 1, Community Health Building, Hutt Hospital, 1st Monday afternoon of every month, phone 04 570 9186 for an appointment.