Nuku Ora (previously Sport Wellington) is a Regional Sports Trust (RST) dedicated to improving the wellbeing of communities, and offers support through all ages and stages of life.
- Nuku Ora delivers Green Prescription, a free programme focused on supporting individuals and whānau to make informed, sustainable and healthy behaviour changes around physical activity and nutrition. Support includes:
- Face-to-face consultations (in homes, in the community or online) with a Programme Advisor, with regular follow-ups for up to 12 months
- Resources and advice around healthy eating, physical activity and general wellbeing
- Motivation and goal-setting support
- Practical cooking and food workshops
- Physical activity tasters and support to link into community events and physical activity programmes
- Nuku Ora is the lead agency for Community Strength and Balance classes across the greater Wellington region. Their role is to create and grow access to strength and balance classes for older people in their communities, as part of the Live Stronger for Longer movement, a wider falls and fractures network all working together to support older people to stay independent and injury-free.
Hutt City Council
Hutt City Council have a dedicated range of teams in the leisure and culture space, including community hubs and events, information on parks, gardens and reserves, a variety of recreational programmes and services, and well maintained walking and cycling tracks around the Hutt Valley.
- Active in the Hutt– a team dedicated to improving wellbeing through physical activity opportunities. This involves projects, programmes and events for schools and the Hutt City community that get you active.
- Healthy Families Hutt Valley – Develop systems that influence everyday lives and the environments we live in. The HFHV team work to implement initiatives around wellbeing such as active transport, nutrition and physical activity.
Wellington City Council have a dedicated range of teams in the recreation, play, outdoors, sport and active transport areas that support community wellbeing.
YMCA Central Inc is a not for profit organisation committed to strengthening families and youth development. Y Central provide a range of targeted health, fitness, and recreational programmes:
- Group Fitness– a variety of classes from low impact yoga and Pilates, to high intensity group classes.
- Jumpstart–an eight week programme aimed at improving health and wellbeing of people at risk of developing diabetes or those with diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Y At Home – Fitness and gym classes, a variety of workout ideas that all can be done from the comfort of your own home
Other Wellington region physical activity services