Vision and hearing screening helps ensure that our children’s ability to learn is at its best. Our vision and hearing technicians (VHTs) provide the following for the greater Wellington region (including Wairarapa and the Kāpiti Coast):
- Hearing and vision screening of four year old tamariki as part of the B4 School Checks (B4SC) programme
- Hearing and vision screening of new entrants to school who have not previously had a B4SC and those who require a rescreen test
- Year 7 vision screening in schools
- Community children's hearing clinics
- Advice to schools, early childhood centres and whanau regarding hearing and vision concerns
If a child is four years old, and has not had a B4 School Check, parent/caregivers can phone the below arrange an appointment:
- Hutt Valley: Anne 04 460 4670 or 027 247 5841
- Capital Coast: Chris Rice 04 212 4553 or 027 240 4832
- Wairarapa: contact your usual medical centre
Free community children’s hearing clinics
Public Health also offers free hearing tests at regular community clinics for children 4-18 years.
- Upper Hutt: Above Lagans Pharmacy, Main Street, once a month, phone 04 570 9030 for an appointment.
- Wainuiomata: Whai Oranga Health Centre, 7 The Strand, 1st Monday of every month, phone 04 564 6966 for an appointment.
- Lower Hutt: Level 1, Community Health Building, Hutt Hospital, 1st Monday of every month, phone 04 570 9186 for an appointment.
**Some clinics are subject to change – please phone Erin (04 587 2906) or Karyn (04 587 2908) to confirm the clinic.
Clinics are from 9.30-11.30am at the following locations:
- Cannons Creek: Cannons Creek Plunket Rooms, 31 Warspite Ave, 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month
- Waitangirua: Temporarily at Cannons Creek Plunket Rooms while Waitangirua Health Centre is closed, 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month
- Porirua: WINZ Porirua Community Link, Lydney Place, alternate Fridays - check with VHT
- Titahi Bay: Titahi Bay North School, 47 Jillet St - check with VHT
- Elsdon: Ora Toa Health Unit, 20 Ngatitoa St, 1st Wednesday of every month - 1.00-3.00 pm
- Johnsonville: Johnsonville Plunket Rooms, 19 Rotoiti St, 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month
- Kapiti: Plunket Rooms, 68 Amohia St, Paraparaumu, alternate Fridays - check with VHT
- Newlands: Newlands Community Centre, 9 Batchelor St, 1st Tuesday every 2nd month