We have designated Smokefree Enforcement Officers who monitor and enforce the Smoke-free legislation and regulations. The various Acts regulate smokefree workplaces and public spaces, the marketing and advertising of tobacco and promotion of tobacco products.
The Acts state that:
- the buildings and grounds of schools and early childhood centres are smokefree
- inside licensed premises (bars, restaurants, cafes, sports clubs, casinos) are smokefree
- all workplaces are smokefree indoors
- the display of tobacco products in retail outlets is restricted
- herbal smoking products are included in the restrictions
- it is illegal to sell tobacco to anyone under the age of 18 years
- prohibits the display of tobacco products (inside or outside their premises) at any sales outlet
We also conduct 'controlled purchase operations' (CPOs) with premises who sell tobacco products. CPOs involve volunteers under 18 years who attempt to purchase tobacco products. This is a way to educate and teach tobacco retailers to ask for and check identification of anyone purchasing tobacco.
Make a complaint if you see:
- someone smoking in an area that should be smokefree
- tobacco promotion or advertising
- something else you think breaches the Smoke-free Environments Act.
Contact us and we will investigate your complaint.
You can read more about, and view the full Smokefree Environment Act on the Ministry of Health. You can also download various smokefree pamphlets from HealthEd.