Paying more attention to the present moment, to thoughts and feelings and to the world around us can boost our wellbeing.
Using ATTENTION to increase awareness, concentration, and focus on the current moment and the task at hand, has been shown to improve wellbeing and mood. These are skills that can give us greater creativity, accuracy, and productivity. Becoming more aware of the present moment means noticing the sights, smells, sounds and tastes we’re experiencing, as well as the thoughts and feelings that occur from one moment to the next. It’s about reconnecting with the world around us, appreciating the little things and savouring the moment.
- Keep a beautiful object near your desk
- Plan to look up at the night sky
- Notice signs of the season changing
- Practise gratitude
- Try mindfulness meditation
- Sit quietly in a garden or park
- Listen to your favourite music
- Take a break from digital devices
- Single-task – do one thing at a time
“Since I started meditating during my morning break, I am finding I can stay much calmer when I get difficult calls and have to deal with heated emotions on the phone. Generally, I don’t feel as stressed when I get home as I used to.” Matthew, Customer Services
Download a pdf of this page here.